Moroccan Lamb Meatball Stew with Butternut Squash
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄3 cup almond flour or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled, cut in half inch dice
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in half inch dice
- 5-6 diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, small dice
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- fresh ground salt crystals and peppercorns
- For meatballs: combine ground lamb through garlic, salt and pepper, form into 1 inch balls. Sautee in 2 tablespoons oil approximately 20 minutes turning to brown evenly. They should be firm enough to hold their shape when added to the stew.
- While meatballs cook, prepare stew.
- For stew: Place 2 tbsp oil in medium hot pan, add butternut squash and sautee about 5 minutes, add onion and cook till translucent, add bell peppers and garlic, cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, spices, chicken broth, and raisins,
- cook till squash is almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add more broth or water if needed. Mixture should be a little soupy, squash will thicken stew as it cooks.
- Add meatballs to stew and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Serve over boiled quinoa.